When should kids get cell phones,computer and TV ?
Every parent of a young child today knows the dilemma: When is your child old enough for a cell phone? A computer? A TV in their room?
Good questions, and while the scientific and psychological consensus tends to skew toward encouraging later adoption of gadgetry (12 years old is a common figure for My First Cell Phone), parents are decidedly mixed.
To wit, Retrevo just released new research on this topic based on a survey of 1,000 people (which seems to include both parents and the childless). Their results are interesting (and I am posting the results verbatim below):
A Child’s First Cell Phone
– 5% of people think kids under 9 should have their own cell phones
– 28% of people think kids should have their own cell phone between the ages of 9 & 12
– 61% of people think kids should be between age 13 & 18 for a phone
– 6% of people thing kids should wait until they’re 18 to get a cell phone
A Child’s First Computer
– 31% of people think that kids should have their first computer by the age of 9
– 35% of people think that kids should have their first computer between the ages of 9 & 12
– 30% of people think that kids should have their first computer between the ages of 13 & 18
– 4% of people think parents should wait until the kids are over 18
A Child’s First TV
– 27% of people think kids should have their own TV by the age of 9
– 20% of people think kids should have their own TV between the ages of 9 & 12
– 30% of people think kids should have their own TV between the ages of 13 & 18
– 23% of people think kids should be over 18 before having their own TV
Pretty strong consensus that around 13 is a good starting point for the phone discussion, while TVs and computers find extremely mixed results.
Information and stat were taken from the website below.
Peter Tse Ngai Chung 6B (23)
It’s difficult to decide this since it really depends on the child. If a kid is mature enough, they can contact with technology early and it will not be so bad. But if a kid shows a sign of immaturity, it’s better to wait until he is mature enough.
In my case, i got my first phone when i promoted from secondary school.
A cell phone is very helpful in secondary school because every time I go to school events, my parents can get a hold of me.
I think that kids should get their phone at the oldest in secondary 2 because they start going to school activities almost everyday.
For computer and TV, as long as there is a home computer, they don’t need their own. A home computer is enough for them to learn form internet.
TVs in their rooms are completely unnecessary since kids can spend nearly unlimited time on TV. This really affects their academy.
Therefore, form my opinion, only a cell phone is necessary for a kid. Other technology is not a must.